Decorative Arts 2008 will be appearing at:
New Designers Part One: 3-6 July 2008.
www.newdesigners.com

Tent London: 18-21 September 2008
www.tentlondon.co.uk



Grace Bibby

Form and shape are central to my work and have ultimately guided
the pieces to their conclusive form.

Colour too has been equally important in these pieces, though in
previous work it has only supported the central concept.
The colours have a strong texture and are key to making the pieces
special. www.gracebibby.blogspot.com



Helen Biswas

My work represents linear and geometrical forms, which are
influenced by stairs and pyramids. I wanted my pieces to look
complicated, like a puzzle, and have an architectural and structural
feel to them.
The steps used in my work represent each stage of one’s life going
onto the next. The pieces interlock and fit together like a puzzle,
which I feel represents life. For each step we must go through in
life, we must work new things out, and as we do the parts of the
puzzle begin to fit into place. www.helenbiswas.blogspot.com


Lydia Chattaway

My work is currently themed around flora and fauna, which has
been an immense inspiration to me.
I work mainly with line and colour to express the feelings that I get
from nature. I chose to develop my work into jewellery, as I am
very enthused by this medium of fashion, and I feel that flowers are
to be adored and adorned, as is jewellery, which is why I combine
the two. I like to use a mixture of rich, sumptuous, exciting and
delicate colours, that reflect the beauty found all around us. www.lydiachattaway.blogspot.com


Stephanie Corbett

My pieces have been developed from an integration of found objects,
that I rescued and continuously studied. Whilst the detritus was in
a state of abandonment, I found that each individual piece had
become meaningless and obsolete. The lack of intent for so many
items is a problem to be approached with the mindset of finding a
combined use to create new things. The purpose of an object can
be ever changing, depending on the eye and mind of the creator.
There is no need in life for anything to become redundant, as with
a little inspiration, imagination and ingenuity, something beautiful
could be created from something thoughtlessly discarded. www.stephanielouisecorbett.blogspot.com



Emma Cowell

My work is about beauty in line and hand technique, it combines
decoration and versatility in a collection derived from studies of
growth and structure in natural forms. I enjoy drawing and see
each line as a component to be built up into a complete piece.
Linear detail excites me as it has the ability to work in both two,
and three-dimensional directions, using layers and line thickness
to create depth. The material is delicate, retaining the intricacy of
hand drawing and cutting techniques, whilst its strength allows the
use of scale and light. www.emmacowell.blogspot.com


Kath Crook

I like all things kitsch…
My chosen medium is ceramics, all my pieces are hand built using
the traditional technique of coiling.
I have taken my inspiration from flamboyant and over the top,
traditional Victorian ceramics. I am interested in nostalgia and the
tradition of family photographs, as a documentation of someone’s
life, which often consist of badly lit and strange compositions.
I have acquired a collection of 60s photographs and some rather
kitsch figurines that I have applied to my work, which echo the
ornamental animals popular in Victorian décor. www.kathcrook.blogspot.com



Ruthie Ford

Time is money
Time waits for no one
Time flies
Time is running out

Save time
Keep time

Waste time
Lose time

Make time
Take time
www.ruthieford.blogspot.com



Chloe Geary

My work has an illustrative nature and has developed a strong
identity through the use of colour. The style developed simply from
my love for drawing!
My work idealises scenes from different cities, giving them a happy
and nostalgic twist. It explores the application of the illustrations in
both scale and dimension resulting in quirky products with a tactile
nature. www.clogeary.blogspot.com



Emily Hartley

My work is based around memories and treasuring items that have
been forgotten, neglected or overlooked and giving them a renewed
sense of preciousness. Inspired by nests, nature and contrast, my
current work combines silver with silk, printed with the handwriting
from old postcards to provide beautiful and intriguing jewellery,
wearable sculpture and wall pieces.
I enjoy combining and manipulating materials and this enhances the
delicate and tactile feel of my work. A high quality of craftsmanship
and attention to detail is an important and integral part of all work
I produce. www.emilyhartley.co.uk emilyhartley.blogspot.com



Emily Hunt
I began by exploring the relationship between fabric manipulation
and image. I have used botanical drawings as my subject matter
and inspiration for my work.
The final outcome of this has been a range of contemporary textiles
designed specifically for interiors. Various processes have been
used including dyeing, screen printing, pleating and stitch. www.emilyhunttextiles.blogspot.com



Eunyoung Kim

The inspiration for my work has been taken from natural forms
and textural qualities found in bird nests, feathers and eggs. I am
fascinated by the shadows cast by the light penetrating through
the structures of my lighting and have enjoyed the inception of this
functional body of work into objects of decoration. These sculptural
forms have embraced modern materials to produce designs inspired
by nature. The repetition of lines and shape work to create the final
3D pieces. I have been fascinated by the process of making a rigid
form from a liquid material, in this case resin.

These forms have been created for use in many interior applications
and it is my intention to continue creating innovative and simple
designs in the future. www.kimeunyoung.blogspot.com



Laura McBride
Interest in line and structure is important, without these the world
would be mayhem. People’s lives evolve around structure and form
whether it be in life itself or written down. I particularly enjoy
looking at man-made structures, focusing mainly on buildings. The
street scene perspectives all contain windows, they hold secrets
just like the people looking at my work...The eyes are the windows
of the soul!
My work uses soft, printed materials integrated within solid resin
and acrylic. Playing with light creates exciting and practical pieces.
With quirky aesthetics this leaves the feeling of being intrigued.
www.freewebs.com/lauramcbride




Catherine Mears
‘In the right light at the right time, everything is extraordinary’

Aaron Rose

The challenge and unpredictability of glass fascinates and excites.
There is always the unknown element of risk, no matter how
developed the skill. Colour plays a large part in my work as does
the relationship between light and the translucent glass. I especially
enjoy the shadows that light casts on the surface beneath the
pieces.
My work is created from a mix of organic and geometric shapes
which are fused and slumped. Adding depth and interest to the
glass, the encapsulated text draws on memories which will last and
not fade.
However memories, like glass, are fragile.
www.catherinemears.blogspot.com



Chloe Miller

My work is entitled “These are a few of my favourite things”.
Aimed at children and the young at heart, this is a collection of interior
products for a child’s room which consist of cushions in all shapes and
sizes, lamp shades, duvet covers, a window piece and other curiosities.
Everything has its own little hand-made tag to make each piece unique,
something that is only found on a lovingly hand-made product.
My work is inspired by my favourite childhood memories of:
Sweet liquorice all-sorts
And whiskers on a white mouse,
Bright coloured Lego
And a mouse that lives in a Lego house.
“When I’m feeling sad I simply remember my favourite things, and then
I don’t feel so bad”. www.chloemiller.blogspot.com



Jodie Norrish-Franklin

My work is an exploration of leisure, pleasance and optimism with a
nostalgic look at our heritage.
I’ve developed motifs derived from leafy suburban imagery and the
excitement of London travel and tourism, past and present. I love the
idea of day trips and learning from what surrounds us.
All this is coupled with sheer joy in material, colour and pattern.
It culminates in a range of wall pieces, illustrations and jewellery designed
to remind and inspire:

Travel, See, Do!
Only, of course, by Underground. www.jodiefranklin.blogspot.com



Anna Paxton

I am fascinated by multiples and how shapes relate to each other and
can be combined to create larger objects. Through paper folding and
manipulation I have developed my own shapes and forms, transforming
simple two-dimensional sheets of fabric or paper into complex
three-dimensional structures.
My exploration of the way in which light interacts with folded forms and
structures, casting shadows and creating reflections, turning simple
shapes into dramatic events, has led me to my final designs.
The stiff white textile lends itself perfectly to this body of work; it can
be applied to an extensive range of products from blinds and lighting, to
fashion accessories and works beautifully with light.
I hope to broaden the possibilities for my folded forms by developing
them in other materials, including metal, and also to create large-scale
pieces for big spaces. www.redrabbitdesign.co.uk



Michelle Wood

My ceramic pieces are an extension of a series of illustrations based on
shape, form and text. Their bulkiness and size questions the role of the
‘pot’ in an interior setting.
Each pot carries a sentence, which represents a section of the illustrated
narrative from which they sprung.
These pots say what you didn’t have the guts to say.
Or the things that some people find so hard to express at times.
www.michelleewood.blogspot.com



Han Zhang

Taking sea-life as my inspiration, I transfer my ideas to simple linear
drawings. Colours and surface patterns are my main focus. The wobbly
surfaces, creepy textures and dotty patterns are the most stimulating and
interesting features of my ceramic pieces.
I pinched these ceramic pieces by hand, and glazed them all differently in
striking colours, in order to amplify the contrast between the pattern and
texture, and also to characterize each of them individually.
Purely for interior decoration, they can be displayed alone or as a group.
www.hanzhangceramic.blogspot.com